Team rider: BARBARA STRAWSON
Location: Clarksburg, Maryland USA
Barbara is an FEI dressage competitor, trainer, and instructor who has brought her 20 years of experience to training and competing horses from USDF Training level through FEI Grand Prix. Earning her USDF Gold, Silver and Bronze medals as well as her USDF Gold and Silver Freestyle Medals, Barb continues to seek out and provide excellent levels of education to horse and rider.
As an active competitor, Barb has studied and competed in Europe under the tutelage of four-time Olympic gold medal winner, Nicole Uphoff-Selke, and is working towards representing her country internationally. While in Germany for 3 years, Barbara trained and competed through Grand Prix while riding as Nicole’s assistant.
Barbara began her FEI career as a young rider, winning a team bronze in the 1985 North American Young Rider’s Championships. She continued this training with Scott Hassler, USEF National Young Horse Dressage Coach. She was the Assistant trainer at Hilltop Farm in Colora, MD from 1990 to 2003. After her return from Germany in 2005, Barbara established her own business, Barbara Strawson, LLC. She is currently managing her own facility, in Clarksburg, MD.
Through her European based training, degree in Psychology from the University of Delaware and her certification in Balimo™, Barbara exceeds the expectations and the varying training needs of both her riders and horses by providing each the necessary tools to achieve their goals.
Barbara's skills and sensitivity allow her to bring out the potential in a variety of horse types and personalities. In addition, her philosophy, that each client is an individual with a unique learning style, results in her ability to help each horse and client to connect to the power of their own potential.
In addition to being an experienced trainer and instructor, Barbara co-authored My Riding Goals Journal and contributed to Equestrian Education. Both books are dedicated to improving personal performance in riding and instruction methods. In addition she has written or been featured in several articles for horse publications such as Dressage Today Magazine.
As well as being an active clinician herself, Barbara hosts International clinician Nicole Uphoff-Selke, George Williams, USDF president, as well as others. Barbara is also dedicated to giving back to the community in such endeavors as co-founder of the PVDA Ride for Life Dancing Horse Challenge, riding in several fundraisers giving freestyle demonstrations and donating her services to silent auctions.
Competitive Highlights include:
- USDF Gold, Silver, Bronze medals and Gold and Silver Freestyle medals
- 2017 US Dressage Finals – 3rd place – Grand Prix Freestyle with Ivan
- 2017 Region 1 USDF Reserve Champion Grand Prix with Ivan
- 2017 BLM Champion – Grand Prix Freestyle with Ivan
- 2017 BLM Reserve Champion – Grand Prix with Ivan
- 2016 Grand Prix Freestyle 76% with Amicelli, Freestyle Challenge Winner
- 2016 BLM Champion at Grand Prix with Ivan
- 2016 BLM Champion at Intermediare II with Ivan
- 2013 BLM Reserve Champion Grand Prix
- 2013 BLM Reserve Champion Grand Prix Freestyle
- 2013 USDF National Finals 7th place Grand Prix Freestyle and 9th place Grand Prix
- 2009 BLM Champion at Intermediare I and Intermediare Musical Freestyle, Prix St. George Reserve BLM Champion
- 2009 (for two years) Selected by judges to receive Most Elegant Professional Rider award sponsored by Betsy Steiner
- USDF Region 1 Outstanding Achievement at FEI levels – 2009
- 2008 BLM Champion 4th Level Musical Freestyle BLM Regional Champion
- 2008 USDF/GAIG Region 1 Reserve Champion Prix St. George and 4th level Musical Freestyle.
Riding Associations: USDF, USEF, PVDA, MDA