What to Wear Horse Back Riding in Summer
What to Wear Horseback Riding in Summer:
You’ve made it through winter breaking ice from water buckets. You’ve made it through Spring trudging through mud and treating thrush. Rejoice because you’ve made it to sweet, sweet summertime! Finding the right summer riding clothes to give you enough protection from the sun and keep you comfortable in the saddle all while keeping you cool can seem like a daunting task. Don’t fear! We’re here to help and give you some tips on what to wear horseback riding when the heat is on.
Let’s start with summer riding shirts. In our opinion, one of the most important things you need to keep in mind when selecting summer riding gear is UPF protection. Whether you’re wearing long sleeves, short sleeves, or tank tops, many apparel manufacturers have options for riding clothes with UPF protection.I know, I know, wearing long sleeves in the summer seems like a crazy plan, but the technical fabrics and materials available today are super lightweight and cool making the long sleeve style with UPF protection a perfect choice for riding in hot summer weather. If you just can’t do the long sleeve thing, then put on your short sleeve shirt or tank top with UPF protection and lather on the sunscreen where the shirt doesn’t cover your skin. Our Kerrits Ice Fil® shirts come in long sleeve, short sleeve, and tanks in a variety of colors, both solids and prints, to suit every style. If bugs are an issue where you live and/or if you find yourself hitting the trails at that perfect time of day when the mosquitoes and gnats love to feast, then look for a shirt that has a taller collar to provide more protection from the critters. Our Kerrits Shady Breeze Convertible Shirt is perfect for this task and can easily convert from long sleeves to short sleeves depending on your preference. For those of you who just love a good t-shirt style top, we’ve got you too. Check out the Running Wild Horse Tee for the perfect sweat wicking option for those with an affinity to the traditional tee. Our technical equestrian performance fabrics prevent the dreaded cling-on that we all have experienced at some point in our barn lives. See our current selection of equestrian sun shirts.
And let’s not forget about summer riding pants because that would just be a tragedy. 😊 Whether you prefer riding tights , breeches, full seat, knee patch, silicone grip or more traditional leather/faux-leather grip, there is something for you! Check out our comparison charts to help you decide which grip and which styles are right for you.
Our top picks for summer riding tights:
- The Flow Rise Performance Riding Tights are a breathable and comfortable option for summer riding. Lightweight coverage with Eco Suede™ knee patch styling works great for hot days.
- The Ice Fil® Full Seat Tech Tight combines Ice Fil® fabric technology & anti-slip Kerrit Sticks™ for a lightweight full seat with maximum stretch & breathability. Horse riders rejoice, this summer riding tight has UPF 50+ sun protection imbedded into the fabric. Plus we love that this summer riding tight comes with pockets for your phone! Learn more how Ice Fil® Fabric cools by reducing skin’s temp up to five degrees.
Our top picks for our breech loving friends:
- The Crossover Breech has the look of a traditional breech in our Dynamic ™ Extreme fabric that stretches like a tight and performs like iron, but keeps you cool. Available in both full seat and knee patch, this breech can take you from schooling to summer showing.
- The Affinity Ice Fil® Breech is the best riding pant for summer weather. Also available in knee patch or full seat, this breech is perfect for keeping cool during clinics, lessons, and showing. If you are showing during the heat of the summer, the Affinity Ice Fil® breech will keep you cool.
Showing in the heat? Well, you’re in luck because hunt coats and English show clothes in general have come a long way since the days of ratcatchers and 100% wool coats with no stretch. We’re spoiled today with choices of super stretchy, very breathable fabrics for show coats that can be washed and dried at home. No more dry cleaning your show clothes…what?! Many manufactures now have different types of breathable “mesh” and wicking fabrics for their show coats. This allows for maximum air flow and cooling while giving the appearance of a traditional show coat. Check out our Affinity Collection to keep you cool and looking magnificent in the show ring.
And don’t forget these things for both you and your horses when riding in hot weather:
- Water, water, and more water
- Sunscreen – Yes, our horses with white noses benefit from sunscreen too!
- Bug Spray – For those who don’t love chemicals, there are many all-natural options available now too.
There you have it! Summer riding simplified. Enjoy the ride!